Saturday, March 12, 2011|
ESL Student Blog: Amenities, Utilities, Appliances
POSTED BY Olga Galperin AT 3:25 PM
- These words often come up in a conversation about renting or owning a property.
- Amenities are areas in a building that make life there more pleasant and comfortable, e.g.: an underground garage, a swimming pool or a health club. Good schools, nice views and low crime rates could also be considered as amenities as they make a property more desirable.
- Utilities are services that are used by public: electricity, gas, etc. In an apartment complex there are also common area utilities: water used by lawn sprinklers, elevator and hall lights and so on. The latter are also known as maintenance fees.
- Appliances are electric devices for household use: a washing machine, dishwasher, dryer, etc. There are also small appliances, usually used in the kitchen: a toaster, coffee-maker, a microwave and so on.
- Which group of the words below provides examples of amenities, utilities and appliances?
- 1. _______
- party room
boardroom (meeting room)
car wash bay
- 2. _______
- 3. _______
- More conversation questions:
- - Which amenities do you expect to see in a high-end building?
- Is the cost of utilities high in your area?
- Are utility services in your country government-managed or privately owned?
- What are your favorite small appliances in the kitchen?
- Answer Key: 1. amenities 2. appliances 3. utilities