Friday, January 02, 2009|
ESL Teacher Blog: Come-Back-After-Holidays Icebreaker
POSTED BY Olga Galperin AT 9:43 PM
- This yes/no question icebreaker will let students exchange their holiday experiences and memories as well as put them into the working mood in no time.
1. Write the 3 following questions on the board and ask each student to write brief answers in their notebooks.
• Where did you go? (name a place, e.g.: resort, theatre, museum, skating rink, friend’s house, etc.)
• What did you do? (name an activity, e.g.: cooking, shopping, studying English, watching TV, resting, etc.)
• Who(m) did you see/visit? (name a person, e.g.:relatives, friends, neighbors, a well-known person, etc.)
2. Put the students in pairs. Tell them NOT to show their answers to each other.
3. Students ask each other yes/no questions trying to guess their partner’s answers. (The questions may only be answered ‘yes’ or ‘no’.)
A sample dialogue may develop as the following:
Did you do this activity indoors? No.
Did you do it outdoors? Yes.
Is it a sport? Yes.
Is it a winter sport? Yes.
Is it hockey? No.
Is it skating? Yes.
4. Students report to the class about their partner’s experiences/whereabouts during the holidays.